Bring your carry-on baggage on board
Every time you fly with us, you can bring one bag and one personal item on board with you, free of cost. Remember that your items must always comply with the characteristics, size and weight allowed.
- You can take one carry-on bag with you, free of cost. It must be light enough that you can place it in the overhead compartment without needing help.
- The maximum weight is 8 kilos (17 lb) in Economy and 16 kilos (35 lb) in Premium Economy or Premium Business. Nevertheless, if you are flying to or from Brazil, the maximum weight is 10 kilos.
- The maximum dimensions are 21 in (55 cm) x 13 in (35 cm) x 9 in (25 cm) (height, depth and width), including the pockets, wheels and handle.
If your carry-on baggage meets these requirements but there isn’t enough room on board, we’ll check your bag, free of cost. If your carry-on baggage exceeds the maximum amount, size or weight allowed, you will have the option to check it for an extra fee from US $ 35 in domestic flights and from US $ 70 in international flights. If you decide not to check your baggage, we won't be able to send it on your flight or take responsibility for it.
- It can be a purse, a laptop bag or a diaper bag.
- You should place this item under the seat in front of you. Except if your seat is in the first row or an exit row.
- It’s important that your item always be under your care and responsibility.
- The maximum dimensions of your personal item are 18 in (45 cm) x 14 in (35 cm) x 8 (20 cm) (height, length and width).
Other items you can bring into the cabin, free of cost.
- A jacket or coat.
- A pocket umbrella, but not a parasol or large umbrella.
- A duty-free bag that complies with maximum size allowance of a personal item.
- A comfort or entertainment item such as a travel pillow, small waist bag (like a fanny pack), headphones, or reading material.
If you have to travel with medications that require cold storage, they must be kept inside an appropriate container. They must be under your care and responsibility during the whole trip, as LATAM does not offer this service. They also have to comply with carry-on baggage and dangerous goods standards.
You may bring musical instruments into the cabin, keeping in mind that they must comply with the carry-on baggage size and weight restrictions mentioned before. If they exceed the established restrictions, they must be checked and will be charged as excess or oversized baggage, depending on the case.
If you would like to transport larger instruments on board, you can reserve and pay for an extra seat in the cabin, as long as you comply with the following conditions:
- Make a reservation ahead of time through our Contact Center, with the same fare and class as your ticket.1
- The instrument must be packaged correctly to place it safely in the seat.
- Your instrument must weigh a maximum of 45 kg. and measure a maximum of 41 cm (long) x 42 cm (wide) x 90 cm (high).
1 This additional ticket does not come with a new checked baggage allowance.
Prohibited and restricted items:
15-inch MacBook Pro
- Apple announced that the battery of some models sold between September 2015 and February 2017 could overheat. To safeguard your safety and the safety of other passengers on board, models purchased between these dates must be completely turned off and transported in your carry-on bag during the flight.
Samsung Galaxy Note7
- In order to ensure safety for you, other passengers and the crew, Samsung Galaxy Note7 mobile phones are prohibited on board and in checked baggage.
Transporting powdered products to the United States
- If you are traveling to the United States, you must keep in mind that TSA (Transportation Security Administration)regulations do not allow you to travel with more than 350 ml (12 oz) of powdered products in carry-on baggage, they can only be transported inside checked baggage.
Smart bag restrictions
- You can transport “smart bags, smart luggage or smart baggage”1 if the battery is removable. For safety reasons, they must be removed before boarding. If it does not meet this condition, you must verify that the battery does not have more than 0.3 g of lithium metal or 2.7 Wh. If it exceeds these numbers, you will not be able to travel with your bag and we will not be able to be responsible for its safekeeping.
1Baggage with rechargeable lithium batteries.