If you purchased your fare before January 17, 2018, check the special baggage policy and extra dimensions that apply.
Special baggage policy for fares purchased on or after January 17, 2018
To travel with your sports equipment, you must package it correctly and as described for each item below to avoid any damage during the trip. To transport very large items, such as kayaks, canoes and oars, delta wings or vaulting poles, which cannot be transported as checked baggage, these can be transported as freight with LATAM Cargo.
Please see below to check which items of sports equipment are subject to be charged as special baggage and how to transport them:
At LATAM you can check oversized items by paying a fee. Oversized baggage is defined as baggage that exceeds the allowed dimensions for transportation in the hold, in other words, it measures between 158 and 300 lineal centimeters (length + width + height) and weighs a maximum of 45 kg.
If the item exceeds 45 kg., regardless of its measurements, it cannot be transported as baggage. You can check with LATAM Cargo for more information about freight.
- Flights with connections with Iberia, British Airways, Air Canada, Qantas and flights to and from Europe, Oceania, Argentina or Aruba, the maximum weight is 32 kg.
- Information detailed below only refers to flights operated by LATAM Airlines (including all subsidiaries). If your trip includes a connection with another airline, please check that airline's baggage policy.
- Starting March 18, 2017, transportation of oversized baggage on all domestic flights within Brazil and on flights between Brazil and South America have a fee.
- For all other routes, a fee is applied to fares purchased after December 19, 2016.
Charges for oversized baggage
The charge for each item will be a fixed fee depending on your trip's route. Review all the information about the fees that apply to your trip's route.
- You can check with us for more information about LATAM Cargo freight services.
- Black Signature, Black, Platinum members and Premium Economy or Premium Business passengers can check oversized baggage as a part of their allowance as long as it does not exceed the total number of items and weight allowance for the route. If additional bags are added that exceed this free allowance, they will be considered as excess baggage. This benefit is valid for flights starting May 18, 2017.
- The excess baggage granted by credit cards is not considered as excess baggage.
Sports equipment, musical instruments and televisions or monitors are all considered special baggage and can be transported in the hold of LATAM Airlines flights. Items that exceed 158 lineal cm. are subject to a fee for oversized baggage. The transportation of wheelchairs or any other instruments that need to be transported due to a disability (for personal use) is free. Review the specific conditions in Special Needs.
Keep in mind that, starting March 14, 2017, your golf equipment is considered as a transportable item in our checked baggage allowance. If you add an additional item that exceeds this free checked item, it’s considered as excess baggage.
Other sports equipment not included in this list - such as tennis rackets or bowling kit - can be considered as normal baggage and are not subject to special baggage charge. If the weight, size and/or maximum number of items permitted is exceeded, they will be subject to an additional charge per extra item, excess weight and/or dimensions, accordingly.
You can travel with your musical instrument on your trip with us. Small instruments are permitted in the cabin as long as they do not exceed carry-on baggage limits. If they do not meet the established measurements or weight limits, they must be transported in the hold. To transport them, you must package them correctly to prevent them from causing any damage during the trip. We recommend you transport instruments in special containers for fragile objects.
Please see below to check which musical instruments are considered as special baggage when transported in the hold and how to package them:
Cello, tuba, double bass or bass drum.
- Cello, tuba, double bass or bass drum: In order to be transported in the hold, they must be packaged in hard-sided cases, and will be subject to special baggage charge.
Exception for guitars
Guitars are only permitted to be transported if they are appropriately packaged in hard-sided cases and they will always be transported in the hold of the aircraft. A guitar with its case is considered as a normal item of baggage, and therefore if your fare includes any items free of charge within the baggage allowance for the hold, you may make use of this by dispatching your guitar. If you have used up your baggage allowance, there will be an additional charge for the guitar and its case.
You may take television sets, monitors and projection screens as checked baggage. They must be packaged or boxed appropriately. Nevertheless, remember that it is not recommended to check fragile or valuable items in the hold, given that the airline cannot be held responsible for the items.
Important to note: If your fare includes any item free of charge within the checked baggage allowance, you may make use of this by dispatching your TV or monitors provided they are not over 40", free of the additional special baggage charge. If it is an item subject to charge for additional baggage, it will be charged accordingly per extra item, excess weight and/or dimensions.
Equipment not considered as special baggage
If you need to travel with any other type of equipment that is not considered to be special baggage and which exceeds the maximum dimensions permitted for checked baggage (between 158 and 300 linear centimeters (length x width x height)), you may do so by paying an additional charge per extra dimension. If it is an additional item to the permitted baggage allowance and/or has excess weight, the charges per additional item, excess weight and dimensions will be applicable cumulatively.
Things to bear in mind about special baggage
- Special baggage may only be arranged in person at the airport - please take this into account for allowing extra time on the day of your trip.
- Any item that exceeds 45 kg - regardless of its measurements - cannot be transported as baggage. You can check with us for more information about LATAM Cargo freight services.
- Based on local legislation, on flights to or from Argentina, Aruba, Europe or Oceania, you may take up to 32 kg per item. The same rule applies for connecting flights with Air Canada, British Airways, Iberia and Qantas.
- Black Signature, Black and Platinum members can make use of their benefit permitting an additional item of baggage by transporting a special baggage item free of charge.
- Passengers in Premium Economy or Premium Business cabin class can transport up to three special baggage items free of charge as part of their baggage allowance.
- Bank cards do not entitle the holder to any related benefits for special baggage.
Special baggage charges
The special baggage charges will be fixed prices, depending on the route of your trip. Please check the full information on the charges relating to the route of your trip.Questions?
If you have any questions about the transportation of oversized or special baggage contact us through our Contact Center.