If you purchased fares before January 17, 2018, check the information on special baggage and over-sized bags.
Some sports equipment, musical instruments, televisions and monitors are considered to be special baggage and can be transported in the hold of LATAM Airlines flights by paying an additional charge. Special baggage prices are fixed amounts that depend on your route and trip.
The transport of wheelchairs and other equipment required by people with special needs carries no additional charge.
Sporting equipment is subject to charge
To travel with your sports equipment, you should package it correctly as described for each item below to avoid damage during the trip. If you need to transport very large items that cannot be checked-in as baggage (such as kayaks, canoes and oars, hang gliders or vaulting poles), you can do so with LATAM Cargo.
Sports equipment not included in this list can be considered to be normal baggage and is not subject to an additional baggage charge. However, if it exceeds the maximum weight, dimensions and/or number of pieces, it will be subject to the corresponding charge.
- Flights with connections with Iberia, British Airways, Air Canada, Qantas and flights to and from Europe, Oceania, Argentina or Aruba, the maximum weight is 32 kg.
- Information detailed below only refers to flights operated by LATAM Airlines (including all subsidiaries). If your trip includes a connection with another airline, please check that airline's baggage policy.
- Starting March 18, 2017, transportation of oversized baggage on all domestic flights within Brazil and on flights between Brazil and South America have a fee.
- For all other routes, a fee is applied to fares purchased after December 19, 2016.
Musical Instruments are subject to charge
Small musical instruments are permitted in the cabin, as long as they do not exceed the carry-on baggage limits. If they do not meet the established measurements or weight limits, they must be transported in the hold. To transport them, you must package them correctly to prevent them suffering any damage during the trip. We recommend you transport instruments in special containers for fragile objects.
- Cello, tuba, double bass or bass drum: In order to be transported in the hold, they must be packaged in hard-sided cases, and will be subject to special baggage charge.
Guitars are only permitted to be transported if they are appropriately packaged in hard-sided cases and they will always be transported in the hold of the aircraft.
A guitar with its case is considered to be a normal item of baggage, and therefore if your fare includes any items free of charge within the baggage allowance for the hold, you may make use of this by checking in your guitar. If you have used up your baggage allowance, there will be an additional charge for the guitar and its case.
Audiovisual equipment is subject to charge
You may take television sets, monitors and projection screens as checked baggage. They must be packaged or boxed appropriately. Nevertheless, it is not recommended to check fragile or valuable items in the hold, given that the airline cannot be held responsible for the items.
Important: If your fare includes any item free of charge within the checked baggage allowance, you may make use of this by checking in your TV or monitors provided they are not over 40", without being subject to the additional baggage charge. If it is an item subject to charge for additional baggage, it will be charged accordingly per extra item, excess weight and/or dimensions.
Things to bear in mind about special baggage
- You can only pay special baggage fees in person at the airport. Take into account the extra time needed on your day of departure.
- Any item that exceeds 45 kg - regardless of its measurements - cannot be transported as baggage. You can check with us for more information about LATAM Cargo freight services.
- Based on local legislation, on flights to or from Argentina, Aruba, Europe or Oceania, you may take up to 32 kg per item. The same rule applies for connecting flights with Air Canada, British Airways, Iberia and Qantas.
- Black Signature, Black and Platinum members can make use of their benefit permitting an additional item of baggage by transporting a special baggage item free of charge.
- Passengers in Premium Economy or Premium Business cabin class can transport up to three special baggage items free of charge as part of their baggage allowance.
- Bank cards do not entitle the holder to any related benefits for special baggage.
Transportation of urns
- At LATAM we allow the transportation of cremated human remains in urns, on board or in the hold. Transportation is subject to each country’s local regulations, and you are therefore responsible for bringing all the necessary documentation with you for all your flights.
Equipment not considered as special baggage
If you need to travel with any other type of equipment that is not considered to be special baggage and which exceeds the maximum dimensions permitted for checked baggage of between 158 and 300 linear centimeters (length x width x height), you may do so by paying an additional charge per extra dimension. If it is an additional item to the permitted baggage allowance and/or has excess weight, the charges per additional item, excess weight and dimensions will be applicable cumulatively.