In order to know where we want to get, it is important to remember where we are from. Before coming together and forming Latin America’s largest airline we had a history full of pioneering spirit, challenges and achievements that brought us here.
Discover the most important milestones in our history.
• Commandant Arturo Merino Benítez creates LAN, Chile’s Línea Aérea Nacional.
• Commandant Rolim Amaro establishes TAM, Brazil’s Transportes Aéreos Regionais.
• Chile’s Corfo constitutes Línea Aérea Nacional – Chile Limitada.
• LAN becomes an public limited company.
• Beginning of the privatization process. Chile’s government sells 51% of stakes to local investors and to Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS).
• Brasil Central changes its name to TAM - Transportes Aéreos Meridionais
• TAM launches its TAM Fidelidade, the first frequent flyer program in Brazil.
• LAN privatization reaches its peak: 98,7% of shares are acquired by the current controllers and other stakeholders.
• TAM purchases Lapsa airliner from Paraguay’s government, creating TAM Mercosur.
• Establishment of TAM Cargo.
• LAN begins trading shares on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and becomes the first Latin American airline trading ADRs on this major stock exchange.
• Establishment of TAM Viagens.
• Arrival of the first A330 and completion of TAM’s first international flight from Sao Paulo to Miami.
• Beginning of LAN Peru operations.
• TAM opens operations for Europe, through a codeshare agreement with Air France to Paris (Charles de Gaulle airport).
• LAN joins oneworld ®.
• LAN opens a cargo terminal in Miami.
• TAM establishes the Services Academy and TAM MRO.
• Beginning of LAN Ecuador operations.
• Change in the corporate image: LAN Airlines S.A.
• TAM starts flying to Santiago, Chile.
• Launching of business class for flights in Paris (France) and Miami (USA).
• Beginning of LAN Argentina operations.
• TAM S.A. IPO at Sao Paulo Stock Exchange (Bovespa).
• Launching of flights to New York (USA) and Buenos Aires (Argentina).
• LAN launches its Premium Business category.
• TAM S.A. IPO at New York Stock Exchange (NYSE).
• TAM Museum is inaugurated.
• Mock-up installation in TAM’s Services Academy, consolidating it as the largest and most modern aviation training center in Latin America.
• New flights to Frankfurt (Germany), Milan (Italy), Madrid (Spain) and Paris (France) via Rio de Janeiro.
• LAN ends its short distances fleet renewal process; fleet is now formed by A320 airplanes.
• TAM launches its new logo.
• Arrival of TAM’s first Boeing 777-300ER.
• LAN lauches cargo operations in Colombia and domestic passengers operations in Ecuador.
• Multiplus Fidelidade becomes an independent company.
• TAM announces the acquisition of Pantanal Linhas Aereas.
• LAN buys Colombian airline Aires.
• TAM officially joins Star Alliance.
• TAM successfully performs the first flight in Latin America with biofuel from jatropha.
• LAN and TAM sign tying arrangements related to the business combination between both companies.
• LATAM Airlines Group is born out of the joint operations of LAN and TAM.
• TAM joins oneworld® alliance. Now, all air passenger transportation LATAM Group companies are part of the same global alliance.
• LATAM Group develops a strong strategic plan for the following four years (2015-2018), with the goal of becoming one of the most important airlines groups in the world.
• The new LATAM brand is officially launched, with new colors and a new logo.
• In May, the new LATAM image begins to be implemented.