If you have any questions about the changes to the rules on qualification for Elite membership categories or on how to accumulate LATAM Pass KMS, which we will be implementing in 2017, please refer to the frequently asked questions listed below:
Questions about qualifiation for Elite membership categories
1. What are Elite KMS?
These are the kilometers that count toward qualifying for Elite membership categories. As of January 1, 2017, these will be differenciated from the LATAM Pass KMS that you accumulate to redeem fares or products. The Elite KMS will be used to access one of the Elite membership categories, but not for redeeming fares or products. Furthermore, they will only be awarded after having traveled on your flight. Each year January 1st will mark the start of a new period of accumulating Elite KMS.
2. How do I calculate Elite KMS?
In order to calculate Elite KMS, you will have to multiply the distance you have flown by a percentage that varies according to the family fare type that you selected, and to whether your flight is a domestic or international flight.
For example*: Laura flies from Santiago to Antofagasta, on a return flight in Economy Flex fare, traveling a total of 2,212 kilometers. To calculate her Elite KMS, she would multiply 2,212 by the percentage awarded for the selected fare, which is 125%, and so she would accumulate a total of 2,765 Elite KMS. If she had selected Economy Base, she would multiply 2,212 by 25%, accumulating 553 Elite KMS.
If Laura flies from Santiago to Miami on a return flight in Economy Flex, traveling a total of 13,306 kilometers, she would multiply 13,306 by 125%, accumulating 16,633 Elite KMS. If she had selected the Premium Business Access family fare, she would multiply 13,306 by 150%, accumulating 19,959 Elite KMS.
*Referential values of Chile.
3. How will these changes affect my qualification in 2017?
These changes will take effect as of January 1, 2017. On this date, you'll start earning Elite KMS., which will be counted for moving up a category in 2017 and to renew your Elite member category in 2018 if you meet your goals.
4. Where can I view the amount of Elite KMS that I need to qualify for an Elite membership?
In your account statement. There you will be able to see both the Elite KMS. that allow you to qualify for Elite member categories and the LATAM Pass KMS. that you have earned.
5. If I make a reservation and pay for my fare in 2016 but I travel in 2017, will I qualify for Elite member categories based on the rules currently in force for 2016 or in accordance with the changes to the rules on qualification that will be implemented on January 1, 2017?
The Elite KMS. are earned based on your flights traveled during 2017. The percentage that is used to multiply the distance traveled will depend on the date of purchase and the rules that are in force at the time. For tickets purchased in 2017, new distance multiplication percentages apply. For tickets purchased before January 01, 2017, percentages valid in 2016 apply.
6. Will I earn Elite KMS if I purchase a fare but I don't make the flight?
No. The Elite KMS will only be awarded after having traveled on the flight during the current year.
7. Will I earn Elite KMS if I cancel my flight but do not claim a refund for it?
No. The Elite KMS will only be awarded after having traveled on the flight.
8. Will there be a minimum distance to calculate Elite KMS.?
No. Minimum distances on all routes will be eliminated.
9. Will there be changes to any other rules on qualifying for Elite member categories?
No, the goals and different options that exist for accessing each elite category will not change in 2017.
10. Will fares that have been redeemed be considered in qualification for Elite member categories?
No, this will remain unchanged. Tickets redeemed with LATAM Pass will not earn Elite KMS. and also won't be considered as qualifying segments.
Questions about how to accumulate LATAM Pass KMS
1. What changes will be made to the way in which LATAM Pass KMS are accumulated in 2017?
The way in which LATAM Pass KMS are calculated will change. For flights purchased starting from the date on which the changes come into effect, accumulation of the kilometers will be based on your Elite membership category and the amount in dollars that you paid for your fare. The date of these changes will be announced soon.
The Elite membership category that you belong to at the time of traveling (which could be different to your category at the time of purchasing your fare or at the end of the year), will assign you to a certain number which you use to multiply each dollar that you spend on your air travel ticket. This number will be referred to as the "multiplier".
2. What are the multipliers assigned to each membership category?
The multipliers will be different depending on the membership category that you belong to at the time of traveling:
(LATAM Pass KMS per dollar spent)
3. When will these changes to the way of accumulating LATAM Pass KMS start to take effect?
These changes to the way in which you accumulate LATAM Pass KMS will start to apply during 2017. Since the applicable rules for accumulating LATAM Pass KMS are based on the date of purchase, only those fares that are purchased after these changes come into effect will accumulate LATAM Pass KMS that apply the multiplier. The date when these changes take place will be announced soon.
4. Will I earn LATAM Pass KMS on the fares redeemed with LATAM Pass KMS?
No, fares redeemed with LATAM Pass KMS will not be considered for the accumulation of LATAM Pass KMS.
5. Will I earn LATAM Pass KMS by paying for boarding fees or taxes for my flight?
No, any amounts you spend on boarding fees or taxes for your flight are not counted toward the accumulation of LATAM Pass KMS. Only the amount you spend on your air fares in dollars will be taken into account.
6. Will I earn LATAM Pass KMS by purchasing other LATAM products and services, such as excess baggage, Forward+ and Space+ seats, and others?
No. To calculate your accumulated LATAM Pass KMS, only the amount you pay for your air fares in dollars will be taken into account. Any other additional expenses, such as excess baggage, forward+ and space+ seats, tour packages and travel insurance, will not be taken into account for accumulating LATAM Pass KMS.
7. If I purchase a fare in 2016 and I travel in 2017, I do I accumulate LATAM Pass KMS?
You will accumulate LATAM Pass KMS in accordance with the terms and conditions in force at the time of purchase. That is, the rules that are in force during 2016 and up until the date when we implement the changes to the way in which you accumulate LATAM Pass KMS.
8. If I purchase a fare in 2016 and I change the flight date in 2017 after the implementation of these changes, how will I accumulate LATAM Pass KMS?
You will accumulate LATAM Pass KMS in accordance with the terms and conditions in force at the time of making the change in 2017. That is, you will accumulate your LATAM Pass KMS using the multiplier that is assigned to your Elite membership category.
9. Will I obtain the LATAM Pass KMS if I purchase an air fare but I do not make the flight?
No. The LATAM Pass KMS will be awarded only after having traveled on the flight.
10. Will I obtain the LATAM Pass KMS if I cancel my flight and I do not request a refund for it?
No. The LATAM Pass KMS will be awarded only after having traveled on the flight.
11. If I request the LATAM Pass KMS from a flight that I traveled on, but which does not appear on my account statement, which rules will apply?
The LATAM Pass KMS will be awarded in accordance with the rules that are in force at the time of purchasing the air fare.
12. If I make my purchase in my national currency, what is the exchange rate that you use to calculate my accumulated LATAM Pass KMS?
The exchange rate that will be used will be the IATA [International Air Transport Association] Consolidated Exchange Rate (ICER), which is updated on a daily basis on business days; on weekend days it will be the Friday's exchange rate that applies.
13. After having made these changes, will the accumulation of LATAM Pass KMS depend on the route that I travel?
No. With the aim of further simplifying the process of accumulating LATAM Pass KMS, this will no longer depend on the type of route that you travel. Wherever you fly, your multiplier will always be the same.
14. Will there be a maximum amount of LATAM Pass KMS that one can accumulate per flight?
Yes, the maximum amount of kilometers you can earn is 100,000 LATAM Pass KMS per segment flown, provided they are tickets sold by LATAM Airlines.
15. Will there be a minimum amount of LATAM Pass KMS that I will need to accumulate per flight?
No. The minimum amounts of accumulated LATAM Pass KMS were removed on all routes.
16. With there be any changes to the way in which LATAM Pass KMS are accumulated when I purchase or use any of the products or services provided in partner stores or financial institutions?
No. The way of accumulating LATAM Pass KMS by purchasing or using products or services provided in partner stores or financial institutions will remain the same.
17. How long will you take to credit my account with the LATAM Pass KMS accumulated after having traveled on a flight?
Within 10 business days after having traveled on your flight, you will be credited with the accumulated LATAM Pass KMS and will show on your account status. This time frame is valid if you had previously entered your Frequent Flyer number.
18. How is the accumulation of LATAM Pass KMS calculated on flights operated by airlines that belong to the oneworld Alliance?
There will be no change to the way in which you accumulate LATAM Pass KMS on flights marketed by oneworld airline companies and partner airlines. If you purchase your fare from an airline that belongs to the oneworld Alliance, you will accumulate LATAM Pass KMS in accordance with the distance traveled and the class in which you are seated.
19. If I have a combination of LATAM flights and flights with other airline companies on my trip, how do I accumulate LATAM Pass KMS?
For the flights marketed by LATAM, you will accumulate LATAM Pass KMS by calculating each dollar spent on your air travel ticket by the multiplier that is assigned to your Elite membership category. If you combine this with a flight purchased from an airline that belongs to the oneworld Alliance or another partner airline company, that segment will accumulate LATAM Pass KMS in accordance with the current rules.
20. When these changes are implemented, will there still be bonus accumulation of LATAM Pass KMS for family group fares?
No. The family group fares bonus scheme will no longer exist once the changes are implemented, since there will be a multiplier assigned for each Elite membership category and will depend on the amount paid for the fare.
21. When these changes are implemented, will there still be the bonus LATAM Pass KMS for my Elite membership category?
No. The bonus scheme for your Elite membership category will be incorporated within the multiplier assigned to each category.
22. If I fly with American Airlines, will there still be the bonus accumulation of LATAM Pass KMS for my membership category?
Yes. For flights operated by American Airlines that award LATAM Pass KMS based on the distance traveled on the flight and on your cabin class, there will still be the bonus scheme that is awarded for Elite categories, in the same way that it is done today.
23. When the changes are implemented, will I be able to accumulate LATAM Pass KMS when I purchase air fares on special offer, on promotion or other exceptions?
No. Some promotional fares, for domestic flights, cannot earn LATAM Pass KMS.