Bring your carry-on baggage on board
You can take one suitcase and a personal item with you, free of charge, under your care and responsibility. Your carry-on-baggage must be light enough that you can place it in the overhead compartment without needing help.
We remind you that cabin space is limited and we can place your baggage in the hold free of charge. If your baggage exceeds the size limits, it will be sent to the hold and may be subject to charges, even if you are at the boarding gate.
The maximum weight for your carry-on baggage is of 8 kilos (17 lb) in Economy and 16 (35 lb) kilos in Premium Economy or Premium Business. If you’re flying in Economy on a route with it’s origin and/or destination in Brazil, the maximum weight is 10 kilos.
The maximum dimensions are 21 in (55 cm) x 13 in (35 cm) x 9 in (25 cm) (height, width and depth), including the pockets, wheels and handle.
If your carry-on baggage exceeds the size and weight permitted, you should send it as checked baggage, which is subject to fees if it exceeds the permitted baggage allowance.
Please note: you can bring a suit cover as carry-on baggage, as long as it is within the aforementioned weight and size restrictions.
You can put one personal item under the seat in front of you (except in emergency exit rows seats and front rows), such as:
- A purse.
- A laptop bag.
- A diaper bag.
Maximum personal item dimensions are 18 in (45 cm) x 14 in (35 cm) x 8 in (20 cm) (length, height and width).
In addition to carry-on baggage items, you bring any of the following items with you, at your own risk and free of cost:
A jacket, an umbrella, a small camera, a pair of binoculars, something to read (books, magazines, tablet) or a small duty free bag. Electronic cigarettes can only be transported as carry-on baggage per Directorate of Civil Aviation regulations.
We recommend you bring any items of value such as documentation, cash, jewels as well as fragile items and electronics, with you on board. We cannot be held responsible for the loss or damage of your belongings while transporting your baggage.
Small musical instruments are permitted in the cabin, as long as they do not exceed the carry-on baggage limits. If they don’t comply with the maximum measurements or weight, they must be transported in the hold and will be subject to an excess or oversized baggage fee if they exceed maximum weight or dimensions allowed on that route.
If you want to guarantee the instrument’s transportation in the cabin, you have to reserve and pay for an additional seat. To do this, please contact our Contact Center beforehand.
Conditions for transporting instruments in the cabin.
If you want to take your musical instrument on a seat, the following conditions must be fulfilled:
- You must reserve an additional seat for your instrument in advance by buying a ticket with the same fare and class as your ticket without the right to additional baggage allowance.
- You must correctly package the baggage to be able to hold it safely on the seat (using the seatbelt to keep it in place during the flight).
- The maximum weight permitted is 45 kg. The maximum dimensions to ensure you can hold it safely on the seat are 41 cm (length) x 41 cm (width) x 90 cm (height).
At LATAM, we do not offer the cold chain service for transporting medications. Should you need to transport them, you must carry them in an appropriate container that must remain under your care during the entire trip and comply with standards for carry-on baggage and dangerous goods.
Prohibition of Samsung Galaxy Note7 telephones on board
In light of recent events involving cellular Samsung Galaxy Note7, the transportation of such devices is prohibited on all LATAM Airlines flights. This applies to all checked baggage as well as to carry-on baggage and items carried on the passenger’s person. This measure aims to ensure the safety of all passengers and crew. Read the statement.
TSA restrictions on the transport of powders
- From June 30th, 2018 new TSA rules will restrict the transport of powders for all passengers traveling to the United States.
- Passengers will not be able to transport powder products larger than 350ml (12oz) in the cabin as part of hand luggage.
- Powder products larger than 350ml (12oz) will only be permitted as part of checked luggage.
Where to store your baggage on board the airplane
- Your carry-on baggage should be stored in the bin above your seat.
- Or under the seat in front of you, unless you are seated in an emergency exit or in the first row. In this case, store it in the overhead bin.