Restriction on transporting pets
Between December 15 and March 15 of each year, our ability to transport pets in the hold on all our routes to New York is restricted.
Please be advised that as of October 01, 2017, dogs of the “American Bully” breed and cats of the “British Shorthair” breed will not be admitted aboard for transportation as animals in the hold, since these breeds are regarded as dangerous and brachycephalic animals respectively.
You may take your four-legged friend with you in the cabin or in the hold of the airplane, depending on the available space on board. We know your pet is an important member of your family, and that's why we aim to make their trip as comfortable and as safe as your own.
Remember that if you apply for an upgrade, you won’t be able to travel with your pet, as for security reasons they have to travel in the economy cabin.
Before embarking on the adventure with your pet, bear in mind that there are certain conditions you must meet in order to travel:
Animals that are permitted
- You may only take dogs or cats.
- You are not allowed to transfer your pet to / from: Galapagos Islands, Australia, New Zealand, Papeete and England.
- The pet must be aged over 8 weeks, or over 4 months if traveling to the United States.
- Other animals may be transported via LATAM Cargo.
- If you are traveling with your pet on board, you will need a certificate from a veterinarian, issued up to 10 days before the flight, confirming that your pet is in good health to travel. In addition, if you’re a passenger on a flight to Easter Island, you’ll need an SAG (Servicio Agricola y Ganadero [Agriculture and Livestock Service]) Office to certify your pet is in good health. As the owner, you can get this at any SAG office near your home. This is an exception within Chile.
- The health authorities in the countries or cities of your flight destination and any connections may request specific documentation, such as their current vaccinations and health certificate. Please review the reference information on iatatravelcenter.com (in English) and contact the consulate or health authority of the countries you will be visiting.
On the day of your trip
- Your pet will not be admitted to travel if they are sedated.
- They must remain in their travel container during the whole time of the flight.
- You cannot bring containers with wheels.
Please also bear in mind the following:
- It is not permitted for pets to be taken in the airplane cabin by unaccompanied minors under the age of 12 years or passengers who take a POC (respiratory devices for chronic respiratory or heart failure) for sleep apnea.
- In the event your pet is traveling in the cargo hold, the validity of the veterinary certificate is defined by each country's health authority.
- On trips shared with other airline companies the most restrictive conditions will apply. Don't forget to check these conditions and restrictions before you travel.
- Admission of your pet on board the aircraft is subject to health restrictions and documentation required by the health authorities of each country. For example, for domestic flights in Colombia it is a requirement to present your pet’s vaccination card or certificate, registered by a veterinary surgeon where his/her professional license number is clearly stated.
How can you request this service?
Remember to request the service through our Contact Center when you are making your booking as this service is subject to available space onboard the airplane. The deadlines for making your request are as follows:
Pets in the cabin: At least 24 hours before the departure time.
Pets in the hold: At least 48 hours before the departure time.
For LATAM Airlines Brasil flights, the request cannot be made until 4 months before the flight.
When you call, you will need to provide the following information about your pet: their age, weight, size and breed.
We have prepared a small manual for you with useful tips to keep in mind when traveling with your pets, including a checklist of what you need to do before your trip. To access it, click on: Traveling in the aircraft cargo hold or Traveling with you in the cabin.