Depending on the route, cabin and fare you chose when you purchased your ticket, you can check different types of baggage in the hold of the airplane for free.
Remember that checked baggage must:
- Comply with dimension and weight restrictions.
- Not contain restricted articles or prohibited items.
- Be checked at the LATAM check-in counters at the airport. If otherwise, you will be charged an additional fee at the time of boarding.
How much hold luggage does your fare include?
Beginning the 1st of July 2019, there will be a change of rules that will determine the baggage allowance permitted on flights between the United States of America and South America, except Colombia, for the following tariffs:
- Flying on a Promo tariff will not include checked-in baggage.
- Flying on a Light tariff will include 1 checked-in bag, max 23kg.
Beginning the 8th of July 2019, there will be a change of rules that will determine the baggage allowance on flights between Tel Aviv, Israel and South America, for the following tariffs:
- Flying on a Promo or Light tariff will not include checked-in baggage.
- Flying on a Plus tariff will include 1 checked-in bag, max 23kg.
For more information, please review prices and baggage.
Flights purchased during the second semester of 2018
If you purchased your ticket before the following dates, the conditions of every fare purchased will remain the same:
- September 1, 2018: Flights within Argentina.
- October 20, 2018: Regional and international flights.
- November 12, 2018: Flights between Europe and Ecuador or Peru.
- November 27, 2018: Flights between Europe and South America.
Baggage allowance for children aged under 2 years
If you’re traveling with a baby in your lap and sharing your seat, you can travel with an extra personal item (in addition to the one included in the ticket you purchased) for free, such as a purse, backpack or bag. The item cannot exceed the maximum size allowance of 45 x 35 x 20 cm (height, length, width).
You can also travel with:
- A folding stroller or
- a child restraint device, such as a certified seat, booster seat, or other.
Travel System strollers are considered as one item, which means you can travel on board with one or both parts (base and seat). If there is no space available in the cabin, we will check it into the hold at no additional cost.
If you purchased a children’s ticket with a seat for the baby, you can travel with the baggage allowance for the fare you purchased.
We recommend taking valuable objects such as documents, money, jewels, electronic items and other personal items into the cabin of the airplane.
Checked baggage on redeemed fares
Domestic flights within Chile, Argentina, Peru, Colombia and Ecuador redeemed with LATAM Pass Miles after September 24 will not include checked baggage.
When you want to add luggage to your trips on any of these routes, you will have to pay an additional charge.
Benefits for LATAM members and other alliances
LATAM Pass members
Black, Black Signature and Platinum members can also take an additional piece of luggage weighing up to 23 kilos regardless of what fare they purchase. Furthermore, for domestic flights in Brazil, Gold members can carry an additional item of baggage of up to 23 kg (50 lb).
Please read our Elite Categories section to see if you have any LATAM Pass benefit relating to your baggage allowance.
What can’t you take?
For everyone’s safety, transporting some objects and items are prohibited, such as the Samsung Galaxy Note7 cell phones, whether in the cabin or in the hold of the airplane.
If you have questions about what items you can travel with, we recommend you read what items are restricted on our flights.
What if you’re bringing special baggage or your luggage exceeds the maximum weight and size?
If your checked baggage exceeds the weight and/or dimension restrictions, please review the freight conditions, weight, maximum size, and costs incurred from excess baggage.
If you’re traveling with sports equipment, musical instruments, televisions and/or monitors, review the policies and prices for special baggage.
Would you like to bring extra checked luggage for your international flight?
Checked luggage will have a discounted price if you buy them more than 6 hours ahead of your flight. You can purchase your extra luggage in My Trips, LATAM offices, or in the airport. Review the price of checked luggage.
Conditions regarding transport of luggage
- Each checked bag must comply with baggage restrictions. If you are traveling with more than one bag, baggage weight is not cumulative. Therefore, if one of your bags exceeds 23 kilos, it will be subject to excess baggage fees.
- As long as your flights were purchased as part of the same reservation, your luggage will be tagged until your trip’s final destination. Despite this, in some instances you will need to collect your luggage at connecting points so it can undergo customs checks, or go to a different airport. This procedure will also be necessary if you are staying overnight at the airport. The luggage must be checked in again at the baggage desks.
- The weight and items permitted in your baggage are for you only and cannot be transferred to other passengers.
- If you have any other queries about refunds, changes, or anything else, you can check the hold baggage purchase terms and conditions.