Travel with everything you need: your musical instrument, skis, surfboard, other sports equipment or any other item whose dimensions exceed the allowance for carry-on baggage or checked baggage. On the day of your trip, we will decide if you have to pay an additional fee or if the object requires special care for transportation.
Some items are considered special baggage, depending on their characteristics. This type of baggage receives special treatment and is subject to specific rules. The special items must be packaged adequately to be accepted as baggage.
Important: The information listed below refers only to flights operated by LATAM Airlines Brazil. If your trip includes a connection with another airline, check that airline's policy on this type of baggage.
You can take golf equipment, bicycles, surfboards, skateboards, and other sports items. In order to ship them, they need to be correctly packed in a bag or carton, and well protected so they can be better transported.
If a bicycle is already assembled, the handlebars need to be fixed to the sides and the pedals need to be removed or wrapped up to avoid damaging other items.
Permitted dimensions and weight
- The item plus its packaging may not exceed 203 linear cm (80 in).
- Each item may weigh no more than 23 kg (50 lb).
- You can take a larger-sized item if you pay excess baggage. If you do this, the maximum weight is 45 kg (99 lb).
- On connections with Iberia, British Airways, Qantas and on flights to and from Europe or Oceania, the maximum weight is 32 kg (70 lb).
- Surfboards may not be larger than 300 linear cm (118 in) in size.
You can travel with small musical instruments in the cabin, as long as they don't exceed carry-on baggage restrictions. They must travel inside their own case.
Larger musical instruments or instruments that don't comply with carry-on baggage restrictions must be transported in the hold.
Your instrument can travel in a seat as long as you comply with the following conditions:
- You must reserve a seat for your instrument in advance by buying a ticket with the same fare and class as yours, without the right to check a bag.
- The maximum weight allowance is 75 kg (on flights operated by LATAM Airlines Brazil or LATAM Airlines Paraguay; the maximum weight to transport musical instruments on board is 45 kg.
You must reserve an additional seat to travel with your cello in the cabin. As an alternative, you can transport your instrument as cargo. To reserve an additional seat to transport your instrument in the cabin, contact the Sales, Frequent Flyer and Services Portal well in advance.
To transport your guitar on board, you must put it inside a flexible case. If you only have a hard case, the guitar must be transported in the cargo hold.
Instruments can be accepted as checked baggage as long as they don't exceed the established dimensions in the region. Musical instruments that exceed said dimensions must be transported by LATAM Cargo. Whether your instruments will be transported as checked baggage or carry-on baggage, we recommend that you package them in special containers for fragile objects. We can't be held responsible for damage to transported items.
Televisions and Monitors
You can travel with a television or monitor within the baggage limits. These items aren't considered special baggage, but must be transported inside an appropriate box. You will be charged an excess baggage fee if the dimensions exceed 158 cm, regardless of its size in inches.
The only exception is applied to flights departing from or arriving to the United States, where televisions and monitors measuring more than 26 inches are considered as special baggage. In this case, you must pay an additional service fee, according to the specifics below:
- 1 television or monitor measuring up to 26 and weighing less than 32 kg: considered as checked baggage (a service fee does not apply)
- 1 television or monitor between 26 and 64 inches and weighing up to 45 kg:you will be charged a service fee of 450 USD (1580 BRL)
- Televisions measuring more than 64 inches or weighing more than 45 kg: not accepted under any circumstances
Important: The amounts in reales that appear on this page are for your reference only because they were calculated using the exchange rate on May 12, 2016. The amount charged will be calculated using the exchange rate with the applicable foreign currency on the day of your purchase.
If you have any questions about the transportation of special equipment, contact our Sales, Frequent Flyer and Services Portal.