If you had questions about the changes to the qualification rule for the Elite categories or about the new ways of accumulating Multiplus points, see the most frequently asked questions here:
Questions about qualifying for the Elite categories:
1. What changes are going to be made to the rules on qualifying for Elite membership categories?
We will make changes to the rule on Points and the rule on combining Points + segments flown in the Superior Cabin. We will be adding a minimum annual spending level in dollars, which we will call Elite Dollars.
Also, in order to differentiate the points that count toward qualifying for Elite categories, as of January 1, 2017 we will refer to these as Elite Points.
2. What are Elite Points?
They are points that will allow you to qualify for the Black Signature, Black, Platinum, or Gold categories from the LATAM Fidelidade Program. As of January 1, 2017, these points will be different from the Multiplus points, which are the points used to redeem tickets or products. The Elite Points are points used to change categories, and you accumulate them every time you fly LATAM or partner airline companies.
3. How are the Elite Points calculated?
To calculate your Elite Points, you need to multiply the distance flown by the percentage of the fare selected.
4. What are Elite Dollars?
It's the concept that we use to refer to the dollars you spend on the purchase of LATAM or oneworld tickets. The Elite Dollars consider only the value of the ticket marketed by LATAM. Shipping fees, taxes, or any additional expenses to the ticket are not considered as Elite Dollars. To become an Elite member you must achieve a minimum annual spending in Elite Dollars.
5. How are Elite Dollars (minimum annual spending level in dollars) calculated?
This will be the sum of your annual spending on airline tickets commercialized by LATAM, not including any boarding fees or airport taxes. Commercialized is understood as flights sold by LATAM, regardless of the operator. In other words, a flight combined with a oneworld airline, for example, Santiago – Los Angeles – Hong Kong, will earn Elite Dollars as long as it has been purchased, in its entirety, through LATAM and has its own flight code (LA 6083, for example). If the flight is commercialized by another airline, it will earn according to the rules of the current bilateral agreement.
Any other expenditure, such as excess baggage, FORWARD+ and SPACE+ seats, tour packages or travel insurance will not earn Elite Dollars (minimum annual spending level in dollars).
6. When will the changed be implemented to the rules on qualification for Elite membership categories?
These changes will take effect as of January 1, 2017. Starting from this date the new scheme of Elite Dollars (minimum required level of annual expenditure in dollars) will apply and will be used to upgrade categories in 2017, provided you reach the target levels, and to renew your Elite membership category in the year 2018. You will also start to accumulate your Elite Points on flights traveled as of January 1, 2017.
7. Where can I check the number of Elite Points I’ve accumulated so far and how many are missing to reach a new category?
From January 1, 2017, after logging in to your LATAM Fidelidade account, you can clearly and distinctly see the Multiplus points accumulated as well as the Elite Points that allow you to qualify for the Elite categories.
8. How will these changes affect my qualification in the year 2017?
As of January 1, 2017, you will begin to accumulate Elite Points and Elite Dollars (minimum required level of annual expenditure in dollars). If you manage to achieve the target levels required to upgrade your category during the year, you will be able to renew it under these new rules. Otherwise, if you do not manage to achieve these requirements for your category over the whole calendar year of 2017, then this will be reduced in the renewal for 2018.
9. Where can I check the Elite Dollars (minimum annual expenses in dollars)?
In your account status. As of January 1, 2017, there you will be able to check the amount of Elite Dollars (minimum required level of annual expenditure in dollars) that you have earned up until that point.
10. If I reserved and paid for my ticket in 2016, but I only fly in 2017, how will my Elite Points be calculated?
Every calculation is performed according to the rule in effect on the date the ticket was purchased. For tickets purchased in 2016, the rules applied will be those that are in effect during this period. From January 1, 2017 on, the new accumulation and qualification rules will apply.
11. Do my Elite Points already appear on my statement at the time of the purchase?
No, your Elite points are only registered after the trip is taken.
12. If I cancel the ticket and ask for a refund, do I still get my Elite Points?
No. Elite Points are only considered after the flight is taken.
13. Will the rules on qualifying for Elite categories be changed in any other way?
No. In addition to adding Elite Dollars to the rule on Points or to the rule that combines Points + segments, nothing else in the qualification rules will be modified. The rule on segments and the goals you must meet for each category have not been altered.
14. Will the tickets redeemed with Multiplus points be considered to qualify for the Elite categories?
No, this remains the same. Tickets redeemed with Multiplus points are not worth Multiplus points or Elite Points.
15. Will I earn Elite Points if I purchase a fare but I don't make the flight?
No. The Elite Points will only be awarded after having traveled on the flight during the current year.
16. Will I earn Elite Points if I cancel my flight but do not claim a refund for it?
No. The Elite Points will only be awarded after having traveled on the flight.
17. Are there any fares that do not allow you to earn Elite Dollars?
No. All fares will allow you to earn dollars as part of the minimum required level of annual expenditure to qualify for Elite membership categories.
18. If I reach the target amount of accumulated Elite Points but do not manage to earn the required amount of Elite Dollars, can I still qualify for an Elite membership category?
No, both targets are required in order to qualify for an Elite membership category. With the exception of Gold category, which does not require Elite Dollars (or minimum level of annual expenditure).
19. If I reach the target amount of Elite Dollars but do not manage to accumulate the required amount of Elite Points, can I still qualify for an Elite membership category?
No, both targets are required in order to qualify for an Elite membership category. With the exception of the Gold category, which does not require Elite Dollars (or minimum level of annual expenditure).
Questions about collecting Multiplus points:
1. What changes will there be to the way Multiplus points are accumulated in 2017?
There will be a new way of accumulating Multiplus points both for national and international flights. For flights purchased after the date the rule was changed, the points will be calculated according to the price of the ticket (reals for flights in Brazil and dollars for international flights) times the multiplier number for each category. This multiplier number refers to the Elite category to which the client belongs on the date of the flight (which may differ depending on the period the ticket was purchased) and also varies for international and domestic flights.
The date of this change will be announced shortly.
2. What are the multipliers for each Elite category?
The Elite categories have multiplier to calculate the Multiplus points for international flights:
(Points per dollar spent)
11 points per dollar spent
10 points per dollar spent
9 points per dollar spent
6 points per dollar spent
5 points per dollar spent
3. When does this new way of accumulating points enter effect?
All changes to the way Multiplus points are collected will be implemented in the first half of 2017. As the rules for calculating the points depend on the date the ticket was purchased, tickets purchased before this change will be calculated the same way, without considering the multiplier number. As soon as the date is defined, we will notify all of our clients.
4. When I redeem tickets with Multiplus points, do I also accumulate points?
No. Tickets redeemed with Multiplus points are not worth points.
5. Do the fees, taxes, additional services like Space+ and extra baggage, travel insurance, or other options also count for Multiplus points?
No. To calculate Multiplus points, only the amount paid for the ticket is considered, in reals for national flights and dollars for international flights.
6. If I buy a ticket in 2016 to fly in 2017, how will the Multiplus points be calculated?
The Multiplus points will be calculated according to the program rule in effect on the date of the purchase. As soon as the changes to the program are implemented in 2017, the new rules will apply.
7. If I purchase a ticket in 2016 and change the date of the flight to 2017, after the new rules are implemented, how will my Multiplus points be calculated?
The Multiplus points will be calculated according to the new date of the ticket. If the ticket is re-issued on a date where the new accumulation model is in effect, you will accumulate points according to the new rule.
8. Will I earn the Multiplus points if I purchase an air fare but I do not make the flight?
No. The Multiplus points will be awarded only after having traveled on the flight.
9. Will I obtain the Multiplus points if I cancel my flight and I do not request a refund for it?
No. The Multiplus points will be awarded only after having traveled on the flight.
10. If I request Multiplus points for a flight I’ve already taken, but for which the points don’t show in my account, which program rules will apply?
The points will be calculated according to the Fidelidade Program in effect on the date the ticket was purchased.
11. For international flights, the points are calculated according to the price of the ticket in dollars. Which exchange rate is used to convert reals to dollars?
The exchange rate used is the IATA Exchange Rate, which is updated daily from Monday to Friday. On weekends, the rate from the previous Friday is used.
The reference exchange rate is available online and should be applied on the date the ticket was purchased.
12. After making these changes, will the Multiplus points be calculated according to the route taken?
No. In order to simplify even more the way you can accumulate Multiplus points, we won't take into account the taken business or route, only the fare you paid for your ticket multiplied by the number corresponding to your category.
13. With the new accumulation rules, will there be a maximum number of Multiplus points accumulated per flight?
Yes. The maximum amount accumulated per route flown is 60,000 Multiplus points.
14. With the new accumulation rules, will there be a minimum amount of Multiplus points accumulated?
For Black Signature, Black, and Platinum clients, there will be a minimum of 500 Multiplus points accumulated per route.
15. Will there be changes in the way Multiplus points are calculated with other partners from the Multiplus network or financial institutions?
No. The way points are calculated with all the other partners remains the same.
16. How long does it take for my Multiplus points accumulated from a flight to appear in my LATAM Fidelidade account?
Within a maximum period of seven days, your Multiplus points will be credited to your LATAM Fidelidade account.
This deadline is only valid if you informed your Fidelidade number (CPF) at the time of the purchase or check-in.
17. How will the Multiplus points be calculated when flying with oneworld partner airlines?
For the moment, earning with oneworld partner companies remains the same, any changes in the percentages will promptly reported.
18. If my trip involves a combination of a flight from LATAM Airlines and another flight from a partner company, how will the points be calculated?
The rule in effect at the time of the purchase will apply to the route flown by LATAM. The route flown by the partner airline company will consider the rule from the respective company.
19. When the new rules enter effect, will there still be accumulation bonuses per category and fare class?
No. This number will be replaced with a single multiplier, which will be higher according to the category of Elite client. The bonuses are already incorporated into this number, making it easier to calculate your earned Multiplus points.
20. After the new rules are applied, will we accumulate points on special or discount fares, or other exceptions?
All promotional fares are valid for earning Multiplus points, with the exception of Megapromo.