If you have a flight operated by LAN, check its Excess Baggage Information.
If the weight of the baggage in the plane cargo area is over the maximum allowed, it may be possible to transport it by paying an excess baggage fee.
TAM offers the chance of purchasing the excess baggage fee in advance making the boarding process easier and faster.
By purchasing the excess baggage fee in advance, each passenger can get up to 30 kilos more than what is allowed within Brazil and South America. For North America and Europe you can purchase up to 3 additional volumes.
You can purchase the excess baggage fee through the website* or via one of our customer service channels listed below.
- Sales Department, Fidelity and Services*
- Corporate Sales Channel
The purchase of the service through the site up to 24 hours before the flight or Fidelity Services and Sales Department must be made up to 48 hours before the flight.
*On the site and at the Fidelity Services and Sales Department, the purchase of the excess baggage fee is done by weight ranges and not by the number of exceeding baggage pounds. You can purchase 5 kg, 10 kg, 20 kg or 30 kg, which will be charged 0.5% of the full flight fare by purchase kilogram (maximum fare, no discount).
Check the terms of services:
- The excess baggage fee purchased in advance is non refundable*, endorsable and/or transferable to another passenger and/or flight with different origin/destination.
- The purchase is only available for customers with reservations in flights operated by TAM - JJ.
- It’s limited to 01 (one) online purchase of excess baggage, per passenger on a flight with no connections with another airline.
- The purchase of the excess baggage is an additional service for the passenger, that is, it does not void his right to use his baggage allowance and the possible benefits linked to the class fare or given to TAM Fidelity customers.
- The advance sale of excess baggage fee varies according to the rules in each market (weight or volume), according to ANAC [Agência Nacional de Aviação Civil (National Civil Aviation Agency of Brazil)] and IATA [International Air Transport Association] regulation.
* If you purchase an advance excess baggage fee but don’t use it, you will not get a refund. The same applies if you only use part of the excess baggage purchased. **In case the passenger reschedules the flight it is possible to use the same service, as long as there is no change in the origin and destination and the flight is rescheduled before its original date. ***This does not apply if your reservation is transfered for a flight not operated by TAM or one that can’t be.
- The excess baggage fee is calculated based on the amount of exceeding kilos.
- 0.5% of the full flight fare is charged (maximum fare, no discount) by exceeding kilo.
- There is no charge for exceeding the dimensions. However, if the total dimension of each volume (height + width + length) exceeds 292 centimeters or 115 inches, your baggage will be checked as cargo.
South America (except Brazil) and Central America
The same weight system applies
We will charge 1% of the full fare (basic fare, no discount) for each exceeding kilo. - There is no charge for exceeding the dimensions. However, if the total dimension of each volume (height + width + length) exceeds 292 centimeters or 115 inches, your baggage will be checked as cargo.
Europe, North America (EUA, Canada and Mexico), Asia, Africa, Oceania and the Middle East
The volume system applies:
There will be an excess fee charged for each parameter exceeded: weight, dimension and number of pieces.
The total dimensions for each piece (height + width + length) should not exceed 158 centimeters or 62 inches. If exceeded, 1 (one) excess fee will be applied.
For pieces which exceed dimensions of 203 centimeters or 80 inches, 2 (two) excess fees will be applied.
However, if the total dimensions of each piece (height + width + length) exceeds 292 centimeters or 115 inches, the baggage will be checked as cargo.
Applies excess baggage for the segment from New York / Toronto: