If you bought your ticket after January 17, 2018, review the applicable special baggage policy.
Oversized baggage policy for tickets purchased before January 17, 2018
At LATAM you can check oversized items by paying a fee. Oversized baggage is defined as baggage that exceeds the allowed dimensions for transportation in the hold, in other words, it measures between 158 and 300 lineal centimeters (length + width + height) and weighs a maximum of 45 kg.
If the item exceeds 45 kg., regardless of its measurements, it cannot be transported as baggage. You can check with LATAM Cargo for more information about freight.
- Flights with connections with Iberia, British Airways, Air Canada, Qantas and flights to and from Europe, Oceania, Argentina or Aruba, the maximum weight is 32 kg.
- Information detailed below only refers to flights operated by LATAM Airlines (including all subsidiaries). If your trip includes a connection with another airline, please check that airline's baggage policy.
- Starting March 18, 2017, transportation of oversized baggage on all domestic flights within Brazil and on flights between Brazil and South America have a fee.
- For all other routes, a fee is applied to fares purchased after December 19, 2016.
Charges for oversized baggage
The charge for each item will be a fixed fee depending on your trip's route. Review all the information about the fees that apply to your trip's route.
- You can check with us for more information about LATAM Cargofreight services.
- Black Signature, Black, Platinum members and Premium Economy or Premium Business passengers can check oversized baggage as a part of their allowance as long as it does not exceed the total number of items and weight allowance for the route. If additional bags are added that exceed this free allowance, they will be considered as excess baggage. This benefit is valid for flights starting May 18, 2017.
- The excess baggage granted by credit cards is not considered as excess baggage.
Sports equipment, musical instruments and televisions or monitors are all considered special baggage and can be transported in the hold of LATAM Airlines flights. Items that exceed 158 lineal cm. are subject to a fee for oversized baggage. The transportation of wheelchairs or any other instruments that need to be transported due to a disability (for personal use) is free. Review the specific conditions in Special Needs.
Keep in mind that, starting March 14, 2017, your golf equipment is considered as a transportable item in our checked baggage allowance. If you add an additional item that exceeds this free checked item, it’s considered as excess baggage.
How should you transport your sports equipment?
To travel with your sports equipment, you must package it correctly and as described below to avoid damage to other items being transported. Check with us for more information about freight services with LATAM Cargo to transport very large items like kayaks, canoes and oars, delta wings, vaulting poles and javelins, which cannot be transported as checked baggage. Read more about how to transport certain sports items that are allowed on LATAM Airlines flights:
- Bow and arrows: You can only carry one bow with its quiver (container for keeping arrows), a maintenance kit and arrows.
- Sports firearm: You can carry a sports firearm provided that it is accompanied by the necessary documentation, placed in a suitable case and unloaded.
- Bicycle: Your bicycle must be properly packed, with the tires deflated, without pedals and with the handlebars tied on one side. In case it is dismountable, the carry handles must be tied to the sides and remove the pedals, or pack them. Small non-flammable gas cartridges (up to 50 ml), which contain carbon dioxide or another gas with no secondary risk can be transported as carry-on baggage or checked in baggage in number not greater than 4.
- Diving equipment: The permitted diving equipment is one air regulator, one manometer, one mask, one snorkel, two flippers, one knife, one harpoon (unloaded and packed safely) and a life jacket. The oxygen cylinders are only accepted as checked-in baggage.
- Golf equipment: You can travel with one single golf bag with clubs and one pair of golf shoes. Starting May 18, 2017, your golf equipment will be considered as oversized baggage and will be subject to a fee. This fee will not be charged for flights purchased before this date, as long as they form part of your baggage allowance.
- Fishing equipment: You can travel with two fishing poles, one fishing reel, one net, one pair of fishing boots and one wire basket (to keep the fish).
- Surfing equipment: You can bring surfboards as checked baggage. We accept a maximum of 3 units in each bag, and it cannot exceed 300 linear cm.
- Windsurfing equipment: Comprising of a board, sail, mast and boom, in one single bag.
- Snow equipment (skis and snowboards): You can check snowboards, skis and poles as checked baggage.
How can I transport musical instruments?
Small musical instruments are permitted in the cabin, as long as they do not exceed the carry-on baggage limits. If they don’t comply with the maximum measurements or weight, they must be transported in the hold and will be subject to an excess or oversized baggage fee if they exceed maximum weight or dimensions allowed on that route.
To be transported in the hold, they must be properly packed in rigid protective cases to prevent other items of luggage damaging the instrument.
Cases that exceed the dimensions established cannot be transported as baggage and must be transported as freight. You can check with us for more information about freight services with LATAM Cargo
If you wish to ensure that your instrument will be transported in the cabin, you can reserve and pay for an additional seat. In order to do so, contact our Contact Center ahead of time
Conditions for transporting instruments in the cabin.
If you want to take your musical instrument in a seat, the following conditions must be fulfilled:
- You must reserve an additional seat for your instrument in advance by buying a ticket with the same fare and class as your ticket without the right to additional baggage allowance.
- You must correctly package the baggage to be able to hold it safely on the seat (using the seatbelt to keep it in place during the flight).
- The maximum weight permitted is 45 kg. The maximum dimensions to ensure you can hold it safely on the seat are 41 cm (length) x 41 cm (width) x 90 cm (height).
Televisions and monitors
You can pack televisions or monitors in your checked baggage as long as it is within the permitted limits of our baggage policy. You must transport this item inside a suitable box. Nevertheless, remember that it’s not recommended to check fragile or valuable items in the hold, given that the airline cannot be held responsible for the items.
If you have any questions about the transportation of oversized or special baggage contact us through our Contact Center.