Sporting equipment is subject to charge
To travel with your sports equipment, you should package it correctly as described for each item below to avoid damage during the trip. If you need to transport very large items that cannot be checked-in as baggage (such as kayaks, canoes and oars, hang gliders or vaulting poles), you can do so with LATAM Cargo.
- Surfing equipment: Comprising one bag containing a maximum of three surf boards.1
- Windsurfing equipment: Comprising of a board, sail, mast and boom, in one single bag.1
- Kite surfing equipment: Comprising one board, one kite, steering rod and harness, in one single bag.1
- Stand up paddle equipment: Comprising one single bag with a board and paddle.1
- Water skiing equipment: Comprising a bag containing one pair of water skis or one slalom water ski.
- Wakeboard, Boogieboard or Bodyboard: One board in its bag.
- Scuba diving: Consists of a maximum of one bag containing diving goggles, a snorkel, a pair of flippers, a wetsuit, a BC jacket, a regulator, an empty oxygen tank, a flashlight and a conventional harpoon (unloaded and packaged safely).
- Fishing: Comprising a maximum of five fishing rods, one reel, one net, one pair of fishing boots and one wire basket, contained in one single bag.
- Equipment Waveski: Composed of a board and two oars.
1 In exceptional cases, a length of 320 cm is permitted, regardless of the width and height.
- Ski Equipment: Comprising one pair of skis, one pair of ski poles, a pair of boots and a helmet, in one single bag.
- Snowboarding equipment: Comprising one snowboard, a pair of boots and a helmet, in one single bag.
- Skydiving equipment: One set of skydiving gear in one single container.
- Paragliding equipment: One set of paragliding gear in one single container. Motorized paragliders are not permitted.
- Golf equipment: Ranging from a golf cub to a set of 14 clubs and 14 balls (maximum) and a pair of golf shoes.
- Cycling equipment: This may be a conventional bicycle (without motor - electric bikes are not permitted), a special trailer for children, a tandem or a monocycle. Your bike (assembled or disassembled) must be packed appropriately. You must deflate the wheels, remove the pedals and tie the handle bar to the side. If it is detachable, you must tie the transportation handles to the sides and remove the pedals or package them.
- Archery equipment: Comprising one bow with its quiver (container for holding arrows), one maintenance kit and arrows, all in one single container.
- Hockey or lacrosse equipment: Comprising a maximum of five hockey sticks, one pair of skates, a set of protection gear and helmet, in one single bag.
- Javelin: One javelin packaged appropriately to prevent it from causing any damage to other equipment in the hold of the aircraft.
Sports equipment not included in this list can be considered to be normal baggage and is not subject to an additional baggage charge. However, if it exceeds the maximum weight, dimensions and/or number of pieces, it will be subject to the corresponding charge.
Musical Instruments are subject to charge
Small musical instruments are permitted in the cabin, as long as they do not exceed the carry-on baggage limits. If they do not meet the established measurements or weight limits, they must be transported in the hold. To transport them, you must package them correctly to prevent them suffering any damage during the trip. We recommend you transport instruments in special containers for fragile objects.
- Cello, tuba, double bass or bass drum: In order to be transported in the hold, they should be correctly packaged in rigid cases. They are subject to additional charge as special baggage.
Exception for guitars
Guitars are only permitted to be transported if they are appropriately packaged in hard-sided cases and they will always be transported in the hold of the aircraft.
A guitar with its case is considered to be a normal item of baggage, and therefore if your fare includes any items free of charge within the baggage allowance for the hold, you may make use of this by checking in your guitar. If you have used up your baggage allowance, there will be an additional charge for the guitar and its case.
Audiovisual equipment is subject to charge
You may take television sets, monitors and projection screens as checked baggage. They must be packaged or boxed appropriately. Nevertheless, it is not recommended to check fragile or valuable items in the hold, given that the airline cannot be held responsible for the items.
Important: If your fare includes any item free of charge within the checked baggage allowance, you may make use of this by checking in your TV or monitors provided they are not over 40", without being subject to the additional baggage charge. If it is an item subject to charge for additional baggage, it will be charged accordingly per extra item, excess weight and/or dimensions.
Things to bear in mind about special baggage
- You can only pay special baggage fees in person at the airport. Take into account the extra time needed on your day of departure.
- Any item that exceeds 45 kg - regardless of its measurements - cannot be transported as baggage. You can check with us for more information about LATAM Cargo freight services.
- Based on local legislation, on flights to or from Argentina, Aruba, Europe or Oceania, you may take up to 32 kg per item. The same rule applies for connecting flights with Air Canada, British Airways, Iberia and Qantas.
- Black Signature, Black and Platinum members can make use of their benefit permitting an additional item of baggage by transporting a special baggage item free of charge.
- If you’re traveling in Premium Economy or Premium Business, you can replace the amount of checked bags included in your fare for special baggage, depending on the ticket you purchased. This doesn’t apply for additional baggage purchased or baggage related with LATAM Pass member category and/or bank card benefits.
- Bank cards do not entitle the holder to any related benefits for special baggage.
ATTENTION: For tickets purchased from September 10th, 2021, the following services will no longer be free for Elite members traveling on our Basic fare:
- Additional baggage on LATAM flights
- Free seat selection
- LATAM+ seat
- Flights moved forward or postponed within the same day
- Priority boarding
- Priority baggage
- Special Services
If you want to add these services, you can do so in the “My Trips” section. However, Priority Check-in, access to the VIP Lounge, WhatsApp and preferential Contact Center will continue to be available.
Transportation of urns
- At LATAM we allow the transportation of cremated human remains in urns, on board or in the hold. Transportation is subject to each country’s local regulations, and you are therefore responsible for bringing all the necessary documentation with you for all your flights.
Equipment not considered as special baggage
If you need to travel with any other type of equipment that is not considered to be special baggage and which exceeds the maximum dimensions permitted for checked baggage of between 158 and 300 linear centimeters (length x width x height), you may do so by paying an additional charge per extra dimension. If it is an additional item to the permitted baggage allowance and/or has excess weight, the charges per additional item, excess weight and dimensions will be applicable cumulatively.