Restriction on transporting pets
Between December 15 and March 15 of each year, our ability to transport pets in the hold on all our routes to New York and Washington are restricted.
Please be advised that as of October 01, 2017, dogs of the “American Bully” breed and cats of the “Cat Breeds (all types)” will not be admitted aboard for transportation as animals in the hold, since these breeds are regarded as dangerous and brachycephalic animals respectively.
- It is forbidden to transport your pet from/to: Galapagos Islands, Australia, New Zealand, Papeete or England.
- On trips shared with other airline companies, the most restrictive conditions will apply. Don't forget to check these conditions and restrictions before you travel.
- Admission of your pet on board the aircraft is subject to health restrictions and documentation required by the health authorities of each country. For example, for domestic flights in Colombia it is a requirement to present your pet’s vaccination card or certificate, registered by a veterinary surgeon where his/her professional license number is clearly stated.
- The animal cannot weigh more than 45kg with its container, and for flights to Argentina, Europe and Oceania the upper limit is 32kg.
- Only cats and/or dogs may travel with the passenger, and these animals must be docile around other people.
- The pet must be aged over 8 weeks, or over 4 months if traveling to the United States.
- The pet must be healthy and not pregnant. You must provide a certificate from a veterinarian.
How can you request this service?
- This service must be requested via the Contact Center during the reservation or at least 48 hours before the departure of the flight.
- For LATAM Airlines Brasil flights, you cannot make your request until 2 months before your flight.
- If you are traveling with your pet on board, you will need a certificate from a veterinarian, issued up to 10 days before the flight, confirming that your pet is in good health to travel.
- If you’re a passenger on a flight to Easter Island, you’ll need an SAG (Servicio Agricola y Ganadero [Agriculture and Livestock Service]) Office to certify your pet is in good health. As the owner, you can get this at any SAG office near your home. This is an exception within Chile.
- In the event your pet is traveling in the cargo hold, the validity of the veterinary certificate is defined by each country's health authority.
- The health authorities in the countries or cities of your flight destination and any connections may request specific documentation, such as their current vaccinations and health certificate. Please review the reference information on iatatravelcenter.com (in English) and contact the consulate or health authority of the countries you will be visiting.
Races exigeant des soins particuliers
Conscients de l’importance du soin avec lequel est traité votre animal de compagnie, et soucieux de préserver aussi bien sa sécurité que son intégrité, nous ne sommes pas en mesure de transporter en soute certaines races de chiens et chats. Si votre animal de compagnie appartient à l’une d’elles, il pourra voyager à bord uniquement, dès lors qu’il remplit les conditions requises pour le transport en cabine.
À titre exceptionnel, ces races peuvent être transportées sur des vols domestiques au Brésil, par le biais de LATAM Cargo.
Restricted dog breeds
Bulldog (all races)
Cane Corso or Italian Mastiff
English Toy Spaniel
Griffon of Brussels
Japanese Spaniel (Japanese Chin)
Pug or Carlino (all races)
Restricted dog breeds
American Bully (New)
American Staffordshire Terrier (Amstaff)
Staffordshire Bull Terrier Ingles (Staffi)
Pit Bull Terrier American
Dogue de Bordeaux
Breeds of restricted cats
Persian breeds all types (new)